Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Kira Scott anticipates Mad About the Boy

Over at Gaming as Women, Kira Scott writes about her hopes and fears for this weekend's run of the Nordic larp Mad About the Boy (previously, video):

I think I have the most trepidation about exploring those mother themes in the game. Politicking and violence and relationships, sure, I’ve done that. Competing with other women to be the recipient of the last sperm on earth in order to give birth? That’s pretty intense, emotionally and personally. My relationship with motherhood is complex and difficult for me to understand myself, and I feel, now in my early 30′s, an approaching pressure and biological need to have babies. I have a feeling a lot of these emotions are going to emerge in the larp. To me, this is really interesting, because it gives me a place to talk about the nervousness of having children. That’s not really too acceptable in US society at large. Whenever we play characters, we always put huge parts of ourselves into them. I’m interested to see which parts of me Linn will bring out, and the insight that will give me about myself.

[...]

I purposefully decided to go in a bit blind. I didn’t do a whole lot of research on Nordic larp before reading everything about Mad About the Boy. One thing I love about the game so far is it’s transparency. Actually, I’m a little anxious about how open and involved everything is going to get. The game’s purpose seems to be to explore. Really explore. Get immersed in your character and in their brain, and in the other characters brains, and dig deeper. Building and breaking relationships and power politicking seem like huge themes in this game and those are some of my favorite things. I wonder though, will I find myself vulnerable once I jump into my character’s skin and go for three days?

The answer I already know. I feel an impending vulnerability. I like it though. It’s a good scary feeling.

Read the rest at Gaming as Women.

(h/t @LizzieStark)

No comments:

Post a Comment